I often encourage the authors at my book publishing company to use Facebook to promote their books. Facebook has around a billion users worldwide. Like Google+, Facebook shouldn't be ignored! Once in a while, though, authors encounter Facebook users who (frankly) should be banned immediately. Banning a person from your page is actually quite easy. Facebook has the instructions right here. In my experience, there are many types of people you shouldn't hesitate to ban from your page. Here are the top 5 in my opinion...
1. The attacker. This person decided to join your page and goes on to attack you and/or your other fans. This person is obviously some sort of hater and will never contribute anything positive to your community. Ban this person immediately!
2. The I'm-hijacking-your-page-to-promote-my-stuff jerk. This person jumps onto your page and attempts to hijack it by promoting his/her product(s). This jerk usually posts product links on your timeline or in the comments. This is totally unacceptable and should not be tolerated. You've spent hours and hours building up your Facebook fan page so you can connect with your fans and ultimately promote your stuff. Ban the jerk!
3. The potty-mouthed person. This guy or gal thinks that dropping f-bombs all over your page is appropriate. It isn't. You wouldn't allow a person to come into your brick-and-mortar store and start screaming obscenities around your other customers (especially kids), would you? Of course not. It makes a scene -- a very ugly scene -- and you should ban this f-bombing user right away.
4. The look-at-me-and-add-me person. You've probably seen this before: There's a huge amount of commenting taking place on a certain post and then look-at-me-and-add-me person decides to reply to nearly every commenter with "add me please." This person is using your fan page to try to build his/her own friends list. Ban!
5. The scammer/hacker. This unethical person (might be a "bot," actually) posts random hazardous links to your page in an attempt to get clicks and possibly scam or hack accounts. The "See Who Viewed Your Profile" link is a big one. The last thing you want is for a legit fan to pick up a virus, get scammed or hacked because of a link found on your page. Ban the scammer/hacker ASAP!